Backbase design system
If you use a banking app or website chances are pretty high that somewhere in the tech stack Backbase is adding some value.
As the Design System product manager, I was responsible for delivering a framework and a library of components to speed up the development of banking software — inside and outside Backbase — and keep a consistent visual style.
The Design System’s actual users are the many developers working on banking software around the world and internally at Backbase. My role was to keep the Design System’s quality high while delivering updates and new features at a rapid speed.
During my time as Product Manager…
- we shipped a new navigation component together with an internationally acclaimed bank as the launching customer
- we migrated the complete Design System to a new and improved version of the UX theme
- we increased the focus on accessibility
- we developed a theme playground so that current and new customers could see a design system’s real power without getting into technicalities
- we released new features and updates every two weeks for which I wrote release notes and technical documentation
I got the chance to work from my own office frequently and even before the start of the Dutch nation-wide lockdown — because of the Corona pandemic — we went fully remote with the team.
Backbase is an internationally focussed company with clients and employees all over the world. I had a great time working with people from all kinds of different backgrounds, cultures, and countries.